I hope you all have had a great start to the year! In this post, I want to talk about something that I have been thinking about for a while now…Going green aka going natural with beauty products!
I’ve been doing a lot of research on beauty products out there and…it is INSANE how many toxins and chemicals are in the products we use every day 😦 Including toothpaste, shampoos, etc!! Obviously, I think it’s impossible to go 100% green…but I can definitely look at ingredients and ensure that the big no-no’s are not on the list.
(Wearing Bite Beauty Matte Lipstick in Cognac! One of my faves and all natural!)
I started going the more natural route with skin care, deodorant etc…but it has taken me a long time to do so with makeup! The most difficult part I think, is throwing away all the money I have spent!!!
What I currently use in my beauty regimen:
For a few years now, I have been using
- Deodorant: Tom’s deodorant which is natural and aluminum free here
- Face Wash: Neutrogena Naturals face wash (although I am switching to a fragrance free, more natural product as I don’t think this one is very good)
- Nuxe Rose Petal face wash here
- Toothpaste: Nature’s Gate here
- Face Moisturizer: Organic cold pressed Rose Hip seed oil here (My next post will be a review on this AMAZING oil!!)
- Exfoliator Face/Body: Baking Soda (It’s amazing at keeping acne away and keeps your face as smooth as a baby’s bottom!)
- Body/Hands/Cuticle Moisturizer: Good old fashioned tub of Coconut Oil here
- Makeup Primer/Set: Organic Rosewater spray here
- Lip balm: Bite Beauty Agave Lip mask, coconut oil or Vitamin E here
- Soap: Royal Herbs Natural Honey & Oatmeal soap here
- Shampoo & Conditioner: Nature’s Gate here
I suspect transitioning my makeup will be a bit more difficult as I have to do some more research on product ingredients. Basically, the main things I want to avoid are: Parabens, Phthalates, Lead and Sulfates as well as ensuring products are cruelty-free.
Sephora is pretty good with listing product ingredients and if they are formulated without the cancer causing junk….so I feel that that’s a good starting point. So far, I have found that Tarte, Bite Beauty, Urban Decay and Kat Von D are some of the many brands that formulate products without parabens and are cruelty-free.
I have a feeling this is going to be heartbreaking as I am sure many of the products I own should be tossed (ahem, Anastasia Beverly Hills) 😦 After doing a ton of research, I found that Anastasia Beverly Hills does not even disclose what the ingredients are in her lipsticks and glosses and I can’t find them anywhere on the net! Based on the product ingredients I have seen on Sephora…it doesn’t look good. Ingredients in her contour kit and brow products include talc, parabens, phthalates..I have emailed the company asking for the lipstick/gloss ingredient list.
This topic is obviously a bit overwhelming and can drive me nuts! It will be an ongoing work in process. I am definitely going to take this a bit more seriously this year…as I use a TON of products on a daily basis. I do think, however, that if you use all makeup but go a more natural route for skin care…it is one step towards the right direction.
Have you thought about going green? What products do you recommend or are you wanting to try out?